Tuesday, November 26, 2013

What I'm Giving Thanks For

It is traditional at Thanksgiving for people to articulate what they’re thankful for. Sometimes this is a quick, embarrassing exercise around the dinner table before diving into the turkey, but it should be more than that. Studies have shown that people who keep a “gratitude journal,” or who are otherwise reminded on a regular basis of the good things in their life, are healthier, accomplish more, and exercise more frequently than those who don’t. (Here’s just one study)

As a self-pubbed writer, I have to admit, sometimes I concentrate more on what I don’t have than what I do. Like… an agent, or a publishing deal, or thousands of books sold. But that kind of negative thinking doesn’t get anyone anywhere. From this Thanksgiving on, I’m going to concentrate on what I’m grateful for. That includes:

Amazon, for making self-publishing so easy. A few years ago, when I was still writing screenplays, I realized it had become a lot easier to publish and sell your own book, while it was still just as difficult to make and market your own movie. The marketing part is still challenging, but the fact that I have an actual book, with a real cover and pages and all that good stuff, is amazing.

The graphic designers, illustrators, and typesetters that charge a very reasonable rate to design your book cover and convert your text into the acceptable format for Createspace, Smashwords, etc.

Facebook, for making it so easy to get to know other writers. Thanks to groups like ChickLitGoddesses, I always know where to turn when I have a question or concern. And that brings me to:

Other self-published writers. I have met so many amazing women who are incredibly generous with their time, ideas and encouragement. It brightens my day to log on to my email and find some notes from my writer friends, congratulating or commiserating. Even though some of them are all the way on the other side of the country, it feels like they are sitting across from me in my dining room, eating chocolate and sharing ideas.

Google, for hosting Blogger.com. My own blog is there, the blogs of several writers who’ve featured me are there, and they host ChickLitCentral.com, which gave me my start as a book reviewer.

My boss, who took a chance on a former PR manager who hasn’t had a real job in years or been in school in decades, and gave me an internship and a chance to prove myself.

My family, for supporting my writing efforts directly and indirectly.

And Hershey’s, for obvious reasons….

Oh, and those really great chocolate chip cookies Sweetbay makes…

And last but not least, I’m extremely grateful to each and every one of you who read KEEPING SCORE, left a review, or stopped by my blog this year and read what I had to say!

Happy Thanksgiving, all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment